- Dana Pavel, “MyRoR: Towards a story-inspired experience platform for lifestyle management scenarios”, PhD thesis, submitted January 2013. Main supervisors: Prof. Vic Callaghan and Prof. Francisco Sepulveda (University of Essex, UK), and Prof. Anind K. Dey (Carnegie Mellon University, USA). External examiners: Prof. Geraldine Fitzpatrick (Technical University of Vienna, Austria) and Dr. Lola Cañamero (Univ. of Hertfordshire).
Conferences and journals:
- D. Pavel, D. Trossen, “A User-Centric Approach to Building Experience Platforms for Capturing Lifestyle and Wellbeing Information“. In Sensor Systems and Software, selected papers from the S-CUBE 2014 conference, pg. 93-105, LNICST vol. 143, January 2015.
- D. Pavel, M. Holweg, D. Trossen, “Experiencing your life: Increasing self-awareness through a story-inspired paradigm”. In Proceedings of the Pervasive Health 2013 conference, Venice, Italy, May 2013.
- D. Pavel, D. Trossen, M. Holweg, V. Callaghan, “Lifestyle stories: Correlating user information through a story-inspired paradigm”. In Proceedings of the Pervasive Health 2013 conference, Venice, Italy, May 2013.
- D. Trossen, D. Pavel, “AIRS: A Mobile Sensing Platform for Lifestyle Management Research and Applications”. In ICST Transactions on Mobile Communications Applications vol. 3 ed. 8, 2013.
- D. Trossen, D. Pavel, “AIRS: A Mobile Sensing Platform for Lifestyle Management Research and Applications“. In the 5th International Conference on MOBILe Wireless MiddleWARE, Operating Systems, and Applications (MobilWare 2012), November 2012, Berlin, Germany.
- J. Bacon, J. Singh, D. Trossen, D.Pavel, A. Bontozoglou, N.Vastardis, K. Yang, S. Pennington, S. Clarke, G.Jones. “Personal and Social Communication Services for Health and Lifestyle Monitoring“. In the First International Conference on Global Health Challenges (Global Health 2012), October 2012, Venice Italy.
- D. Pavel. V. Callaghan, A.K. Dey, F. Sepulveda, M. Gardner, “The Story of Our Lives: From Sensors to Stories in Self-monitoring Systems“. In the 4th Computer Science and Electronic Engineering Conference (CEEC’12), Colchester, UK, September 2012.
- D. Pavel, V. Callaghan and A.K. Dey, “Supporting Wellbeing Through Improving Interactions and Understanding in Self-Monitoring Systems“. Chapter in the Handbook of Ambient Assisted Living – Technology for Healthcare, Rehabilitation and Well-being, IOS Press, Volume 11, 2012.
- D. Pavel, V. Callaghan and A. K. Dey , “From self-monitoring to self-understanding: Going beyond physiological sensing for supporting wellbeing“. In the International Workshop on Pervasive Computing Paradigms for Mental Health (MindCare 2011), Pervasive Health conference, Dublin, May 2011.
- D. Pavel, V. Callaghan and A. K. Dey, “Looking back in wonder: How self monitoring technologies can help us better understand ourselves“. In the 6th International Conference on Intelligent Environments, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, July 2010.
- D. Trossen, D. Pavel, K. Guild, J. Bacon, J. Singh, “Information-centric Pervasive Healthcare Platforms”. In Pervasive Health conference, Munich, Germany, March 2010.
- D. Pavel, V. Callaghan, A. K. Dey, “Democratization of healthcare through self-monitoring technologies”. In Pervasive Health conference, Munich, Germany, March 2010.
- D. Pavel, V. Callaghan, A.K.Dey, and M.Gardner, “Supporting Introspective Behaviours Through Technology“. In the Intelligent Environments conference, Barcelona, 2009.
- T. Olsson, M. Lehtonen, D. Pavel and K. Väänänen-Vainio-Mattila, “User-centered design of a mobile application for sharing life memories“. In the Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Mobile Technology, Applications and Systems and The 1st international symposium on Computer human interaction in mobile technology, 2007.
- D. Trossen, D. Pavel, G. Platt, J. Wall, P. Valencia, et al., “Sensor Networks, Wearable Computing, and Healthcare Applications“. In the IEEE Pervasive Computing journal, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 58-61, Apr.-June 2007, doi:10.1109/MPRV.2007.43.
- D. Trossen & D. Pavel, “NORS: An Open Source Platform to Facilitate Participatory Sensing with Mobile Phones“. In the Mobiquitous 2007 conference, Philadelphia, PA, USA, August 2007.
- D. Trossen & D. Pavel, “Enabling Data Sharing Among Dispersed Sensor Deployments Through Participatory Sensing with Mobile Devices”. In Workshop on Data Sharing and Interoperability on World-wide Sensor Web (DSI 2007), Cambridge, MA, USA, April 2007.
- Sailesh Sathish, Dana Pavel & Dirk Trossen, “Context Service Framework for the Mobile Internet”. In the FUMCA workshop at Ubicomp 2006, Irvine, CA, USA, 2006.
- D. Pavel, D. Trossen, “Context Provisioning for Future Service Environments“. In the International Multi-Conference on Computing in the Global Information Technology, ICCGI06, Bucharest, Romania, July 2006.
- K. Arabshian, H. Schulzrinne, D. Trossen & D. Pavel, “GloServ: Global Service Discovery using the OWL Web Ontology Language“. In the IEEE Workshop on Intelligent Environments, Essex (UK), June 2005.
- D. Trossen & D. Pavel, “Service Discovery & Availability Subscriptions Using the SIP Event Framework“. In the ICC’2005 conference, Seoul, Korea, May 2005.
- Dirk Trossen, Dana Pavel, “Building a Ubiquitous Platform for Remote Sensing Using Smartphones“. In the Second Annual International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Networking and Services (MOBIQUITOUS), 2005.
- D. Pavel & D. Trossen, ““MyRoR: Towards a story-inspired experience platform for lifestyle management scenarios”“. In Workshop on Context Awareness, MobiSys2004 Conference, June 2004.
- D. Pavel & D. Trossen, “Context-aware Resource Pre-Allocation in Nomadic Applications using a Service Provider Approach”. In IEEE 3G Wireless 2003, San Francisco, CA, USA, May 2003.
- D. Pavel & D. Trossen, “Context-Awareness and SIP: Enabling User-tailored Communication in the Internet”. In Pervasive 2002 conference, Zurich, Switzerland, 2002.
Articles in Nokia Research internal magazine:
- D. Pavel, D. Trossen, Z. Antoniou, “It’s a small world when connecting through adhoc communities”, NRC Advance Magazine, 2005.
- D. Pavel, J. Hemanus, “What’s mood got to do with this?”, NRC Advance Magazine, 2003.
- P.Huuskonen, D. Pavel, U. Tuomela, “Context-awareness: A new dimension for communication”, NRC Advance Magazine, 2002.
- D. Trossen, D. Pavel, “Context-aware session creation in SIP environments”, NRC Advance Magazine, 2002.
- O. Lassila, D. Pavel-Hulubei, “Ubiquitous computing: invisible, anytime, anywhere”, NRC Advance Magazine, 2001.
- “Collect yourself before you forget yourself“, article by Tom Geller mentioning my work in data processing and visualisation; appeared in Communications of the ACM on July 18, 2013.
- “Dear Digital Diary…”, article mentioning my work on data processing and visualisation; appeared in Cambridge Network News on 13 August 2013.
- “Can ‘Spiritual Computing’ Drive Web 3.0?” article by Michael Hickins mentioning my work in affective and spiritual computing; appeared in internetnews.com on July 28, 2006.
- Invited presentation at the ICT KTN and CW UX SIG event on “No Free Lunch: The Consumer as Product in a Data-Driven Economy”, November 2013.
- Invited presenter and panelist at The Mobile Apps in Research Summit, Birmingham, 2013.
- Invited seminar, Engineering Design Centre, University of Cambridge, March 2012.
- Invited presentation for the “Social Sensing: Mobile sensing meets social science” workshop, University of Cambridge, March 2011.